One of the most frequently asked questions we get here at Music Tomorrow goes something along the lines of “I want to learn about the data in the music industry. Where do I begin?”
This section is designed to provide a comprehensive answer to that question and provide the most complete music data guide on the internet. Below you will find a collection of relevant articles and materials that would get you familiar with the world of music data — from the high-level overview of the music data structures down to the nitty-gritty of sector- and task-specific analytics.
That said, the music data industry is a multi-faceted and rapidly evolving landscape. Dozens of music tech startups and hundreds of music companies push the envelope on how data is collected, organized, presented, and used in a complex industry consistent of odd dozen independent yet interconnected verticals, from recording to publishing, live and beyond. In that sense, the following guide to music data is still a work in progress — we will continuously update this page to account for the latest developments in music data. If you want to make sure that you won’t miss out on the latest additions, we welcome you to follow our newsletter for a bi-weekly digest of the latest developments in music data.
Pre-requisites: Ideally, you’re already well versed in data analytics & tech, but you want to understand how the music industry works with data and where the gaps and opportunities might lie.If you’re not proficient with data science or data analysis yet and want to expand your expertise in these fields, we recommend you follow a dedicated training course on learning platforms like Coursera or Udemy. If your interest lies in AI & Machine Learning, we particularly recommend DeepLearning.AI as a learning resource.
Introduction: what is music data & how it works?
- How to Process Music Industry Data (Music Data Pyramid)
- An Overview of Data in The Music Industry
- Guide to Music Metadata & How Broken Metadata Affects the Music Industry
The Music Data Industry
Data-driven music marketing: How managers and marketing professionals use Data to promote new song releases
- How music professionals use data to pitch artists
- How music professionals use data to market new song releases
- How engaging is your music on TikTok?
- Don’t get lost in translation: How to interpret artists’ engagement rates
- Understanding music discovery algorithms – How to amplify an artist’s visibility across streaming platforms
- Music “Trigger Cities” in Latin America & South/Southeast Asia
Data-driven talent scouting: How A&Rs work with data to discover high-potential artists
- How A&Rs use data to scout and evaluate artists
- “A&R has always been about data”: a deep dive into the role of data in A&R with Chaz Jenkins, CCO at Chartmetric
- How Data is Redefining the Role of A&R in the Music Industry Today
- The Future of Artist Data: Are we at the Dawn of A&R Data Wars?
Data-driven booking & promotion: How the live industry works with data – even as pandemic
- How the touring industry will use data in 2021 — even in a pandemic
- Data Cheat Sheet: A summary of data ownership in the live events industry
- How booking agents use (and don’t use) data
- Why Go to Live Shows? 17 Factors of Attendance in the Live Industry
- Why a COVID data strategy for live music doesn’t exist (yet)
Royalty processing: How the music industry use data to collect and distribute master & publishing royalties
- Understanding music rights data: the challenges of delivering timely royalty payments to artists
- Under the Hood: How Revelator Uses Data to Expedite Royalty Processing and Accelerate the Streaming Economy
- “The job will never be finished”: diving into music rights data and royalty systems with Phil Barry from Blokur
- Music Rights and NFTs: What should we (realistically) expect?
- What Music Streaming Services Pay Per Stream (And Why It Actually Doesn’t Matter)
Data-driven Change: Gender & Equality in the Music Business
- Fairness in Question: Do Music Recommendation Algorithms Value Diversity?
- It’s Raining Men – Statistics about The Gender Gap in Music
- ‘Make Music Equal’: Data-Driven Initiative to Advance Gender Equity in the Music Industry
Music Data Standards and Related Databases
- ISRC (International Standard Recording Code): overview & implementation guidelines
- ISRC (International Standard Recording Code) search: open international database by IFPI
- ISWC (International Standard Musical Work Code): overview & implementation guidelines
- ISWC (International Standard Musical Work Code) Net System: open international database by CISAC
- Songview: joint view of ASCAP & BMI musical works databases
- DDEX (Digital Data Exchange) standards for the digital music industry: implementation guidelines and resources (Webinars, Documentation & Knowledge Base)
- MusicBrainz – The Open Music Encyclopedia